Best External Writer Reader for BluRay 2022
However, not anymore!
After 13 hours of research with 12 devices, we selected the LG GP60N as the best external reader / writer around.
Additionally, whether at the software or hardware level, this burner reader has a very wide compatibility. It only omits the Blu-Ray, intended for higher ranges.
As a bonus though, it’s compact enough to slip into your bag and carry with your computer. How convenient, right?
But be sure to protect it as little as possible because its entry-level position means that it is equipped with more fragile materials. It is available in white, Grey or in noir.
Despite some small software flaws, it has a real advantage: its execution speed.
Moreover, thanks to the use of USB 3.0, it transfers data fairly quickly. This therefore results in much faster etching.
It also benefits from optimizations such as Autoquiet mode, to improve its performance while minimising noise pollution. Thus making it one of the most powerful writer reader for BluRay.
|Our choice, Best inexpensive||Best high end|
|LG GP60N||Pioneer BDR-XD07|
|Simple but functional, it effectively fulfills all the tasks that you entrust to it as long as you remain in its area of expertise. It does not have the latest technologies but it will delight the majority of users.||Thanks to its wide compatibility, it manages all current media, from CD to Blu-Ray through M-Discs. As a bonus, it takes advantage of USB 3.0 to offer high speeds.|
At present, no product available on the European market seemed to us to have the qualities necessary to appear alongside our main selection. We will be sure to offer you interesting alternatives as soon as we know about them.
How to choose your external burner drive?
Even if the purchase of the best burner writer reader may seem simple at first, it is still necessary to research a little further to be sure that your choice is suitable for your use.
For example, if you primarily want to extract content and place it on a USB key or in a Hard disk, an entry-level model might be sufficient (unless you’re tackling Blu-Ray, of course).
So, to help you in your choice, we based ourselves on the following criteria:
- Compatibility : as with any peripheral, it is necessary to ensure its compatibility with your hardware. Whether in terms of connectivity or the operating system, many possibilities exist. In addition, you also need to ensure compatibility with the type of discs you plan to read / burn. Thus, the cheaper models are generally limited to CD / DVDs where the more expensive ones can support Blu-Ray.
- Burn and read speeds : this data is used to represent the speed of data transfer. It is equivalent to X times the reading speed. In the case of burning, it allows you to estimate the time it will take to burn files. For CD, the base value is 150KB / s, for DVD it is 1.35MB / s, and for Blu-Ray, 4.5MB / s.
- Construction : this criterion is based on 2 factors: the choice of materials and the technology used to insert the disc. As it is an external device, it is necessary that it has a certain robustness in order to be able to be moved without hindrance. In this case, the choice of materials is important. Equally important is the technology used. Thus, there are several solutions: a drawer or a valve, more fragile but less expensive, or a slot, much more durable.
- Integrated features : whether at the software level or at the level of the reader writer itself, additional functionalities can be integrated. Thus, some manufacturers provide a software suite intended for reading and burning content. In the case of the high end, they can also add features related to optimizing the performance of the device.
- Lifewire, The 8 Best External Optical Drives of 2021, 28 septembre 2021
- The Wirecutter, The Best External Optical Drives for DVDs and Blu-rays, 28 septembre 2021