Top 5 Best Cheap Laptops On a Budget (Review 2022)
The x360 14c proudly sports the image of an efficient, practical and pleasant to use chromebook. It is equipped for the occasion with a 10th generation Intel Core i3 coupled with 8 GB of RAM in order to manage the vast majority of the tasks that you can entrust to it. It is also a good example of a pleasant solution to use with its convertible touch screen and its neat ergonomics. Its only flaws come from its weight, higher than the competition (+ 300g), and a slightly low maximum brightness. Stylus enthusiasts can also invest in a USI stylus to complete its range.
This Chromebook presents a very attractive quality / price ratio and should seduce you with its great mobility (it is at the same time solid, light and durable) and its very appreciable convertible 11 ”touch screen. Its size might put you off if it’s your only PC though, which can weigh in on your choosing. However, it is not lacking in strengths thanks to its convincing convertible format and its everyday practicality.
The Chromebook Spin 513 is the perfect solution for anyone looking for an affordable convertible laptop. It is also the perfect solution for standard uses thanks to the sufficient power of its Snapdragon 7c and its autonomy of 10 hours. This economical processor can even allow it to reach 14 hours of endurance. Ergonomics, for its part, offers a mixed result which remains convincing despite a keyboard, certainly backlit, but a little too soft. The chassis, finally, presents a neat rendering and an optimized format.
With its basic configuration, the version of the Dell Inspiron 15 3000 that we have chosen is the most affordable model possible on Windows. It therefore offers very limited performance that will only serve the less demanding, needing to do office automation or consume multimedia content. Fortunately, other versions are available in order to adapt it to your needs and to have a higher power. A low price also implies other compromises with a pleasant screen but whose resolution is limited to HD on this version.
The Aspire 5 is a good example of a versatile laptop. Indeed, thanks to the many versions available, it is possible to find the configuration that best suits your needs. It also adds great mobility and pleasant ergonomics, which guarantees a good quality / price ratio despite a relatively limited graphics power.
Best Cheap Laptop: Our Top Picks
|Best Mid-Range||Best very inexpensive||Best cheap||Very inexpensive alternative||Mid-range alternative|
|HP Chromebook x360 14c (14c-ca0000sf/14c-ca0005nf)||Acer Chromebook Spin 311 (CP311-3H-K988)||Acer Chromebook Spin 513 (CP513-1H-S64V)||Dell Inspiron 15 3000 (3502) (CN30203SC)||Acer Aspire 5 (A515-55-5892)|
|With this model, HP offers a good example of a versatile and qualitative solution. There are interesting components wrapped in a neat chassis and underlined by ergonomics of a very good level.||This laptop is an ideal solution if you need a practical model for your daily small tasks. It is also practical enough to be used by a child for school tasks.||Mid-range model par excellence, it incorporates all the codes of the brand’s higher-end models with a premium chassis coupled with more than sufficient power for classic uses.||This model represents the minimum of what can be found on a Windows PC. It is neither the most powerful nor the most efficient, but it offers the Microsoft experience for a minimal budget.||Well known in the mid-range of Windows laptops, this model is the perfect solution if you are looking for a computer that combines performance and convenience.|
Lenovo Chromebook IdeaPad Duet: The tablet under Chrome OS. With the Ideapad Duet, Lenovo decided to apply the chromebook philosophy to a tablet in order to make it something of a relatively convincing hybrid model. We therefore find the advantages of a touchscreen tablet, with a reduced format and high autonomy, combined with the approval of Chrome OS. However, we can blame it for its limited power and its panel subject to reflections.
Acer Swift 3: The all-rounder ultraportable. The Swift 3 is a more polished solution than the Aspire for those who want a versatile computer. This range is oriented towards the principle of ultraportable with a compact body and a smaller screen diagonal, which makes it the ideal companion for nomads. It is available in a wide variety of configurations, interesting for office automation and multimedia but also for photo or video editing. The other Swift models allow you to go upmarket if necessary.
How to choose the best cheap laptop PC?
The challenge, when we have a small budget, is to find a cheap computer that is still of good quality, to avoid having to invest again a year later.
First of all, you should know that there are two possible operating systems at this price point:
- Chrome OS : This system is ideal for low cost laptops. It requires little power and minimizes the need for storage by mainly using the cloud. It is intended for multimedia or office use. We have also dedicated a article to these models.
- Windows : well known around the globe, this system is currently the most represented on computers. However, it requires a certain amount of power to be effective, which makes computers more affordable and much more limited. However, its popularity allows it to take advantage of a wide variety of available programs and therefore, uses.
Indeed, most often, to lower the price of a computer, the manufacturer makes sacrifices: average material quality, lower power, poor screen display … To avoid falling on a poor quality computer when you choose, here are some criteria you absolutely must pay attention to:
- Performances : a source of savings for manufacturers is the power of the computer, which directly influences fluidity. Many affordable models are unfortunately very slow (when starting up as well as when navigating). In this sense, it is important to ensure the quality of the components and the balance of the configuration (to avoid that a less efficient component limits the others) Generally, this type of laptops will be limited to office automation and multimedia . For gaming, see our dedicated article.
- Screen : A good size and good quality are essential to be able to use your computer comfortably. Certainly, at a low price, it will not be the best, but it must be of sufficient quality to allow proper use. We recommend, if it is your only PC, to opt for a screen of at least 13 inches, with a resolution at least HD (and even Full HD from 14 inches), and having sufficient brightness and correct colorimetry.
- Ergonomics : Just as a good screen is important, a good keyboard and a good touchpad are essential to facilitate your daily work. The keyboard should be tough and comfortable to type, while the touchpad should be responsive enough to let you work without a mouse.
- Mobility : the whole point of a laptop is precisely … its portability. It is therefore necessary to ensure the practicality of the device on this point. It must be compact, robust and durable enough to suit your needs. Batteries are definitely something that manufacturers love to save money on. The autonomy announced on a technical sheet is however often optimistic: do not hesitate to consult the specialized tests to realize the real autonomy of a computer.
- The connection : when choosing your future computer, you must ensure that it is equipped with the connections adapted to your needs. Generally, we recommend having at least 2 USB ports, a jack and ideally a USB-C port, very versatile as the number of adapters exist. It is increasingly rare to find an HDMI port.
Unfortunately, apart from turning resolutely towards Chromebooks, the supply of cheap quality laptops is quite meager.
- CNET, The best cheap Windows laptops and Chromebooks under $500 you can get now, October 13, 2021
- Digital Trends, The Best Budget Laptops for 2020, October 13, 2021
- Frandroid, Cheap laptops: the best under 500 euros in 2019, October 13, 2021
- laptop mag, The best laptops under $500 in 2020, October 13, 2021
- Digital, What are the best laptops under $ 600? July 2020, October 13, 2021
- PCMag, The Best Budget Laptops for 2020, October 13, 2021
- Select, The Best Chromebook 2021, October 13, 2021
- Techradar Global, Laptops: what are the best computers under $ 700?, October 13, 2021
- Tom’s Guide, The best laptops under $500 in 2020, October 13, 2021
Originally posted on November 19, 2021 @ 7:48 am