The Best 15/16 Inch Laptop for Gaming and Work
You are faced with the best compromise at the moment. High performance combined with excellent autonomy and a premium chassis make it a benchmark. It is also available in a large number of versions which allow you to adapt it to your needs. The defect of the previous model is now corrected with this new version, more compact and thin.
The MateBook D16 poses itself as a revision of the Honor MagicBook Pro. We therefore find the chassis of the original model with its excellent screen offering faithful colors and low reflectance. The brand corrects, in passing, the keyboard which finally becomes pleasant to use. The touchpad is, for its part, just as qualitative. We can always blame the unflattering angle of the webcam, placed in the keyboard. The performances are more than adapted to a standard use even if we ignore the graphics part here. Mobility, finally, is studied with a format close to a 15.6 ”model (for a 16.1” panel) and an autonomy of more than 8 hours. The fast charge allows you to recover 2 hours of use in 15 min.
Taking up the timeless design of Macbooks and the excellent Touchbar, this new version improves the many strengths of its predecessor without succeeding in absorbing its shortcomings. Thus, autonomy is revised upwards and practicality is still there, but the lack of variety in the connections and the absence of faceID are still felt. A more efficient version is also available and some options can be added, but only on the Apple site.
For several years now, the Blade 15 has been a laptop that has made a place for itself in its field. The 2020 vintage, similar to the previous version, still brings its share of corrections that make it even more interesting. If it retains the sober and qualitative design of its predecessor, it completely revises its cooling system and its internal components. A version OLED, ideal for photo or video editing, is also available.
As popular as the Dell XPS 15 or more, the Microsoft Surface Book 3 15 ”is not far from achieving perfection when it comes to productivity-oriented laptops. However, he is older than his competitor, which prevents him from keeping ahead of the giant with the apple. The arrival of version 3 improves internal components, which makes it much more relevant to its competitor.
|Our Pick, Best Mid-Range||Best cheap||Best high end||Mid-range alternative||High-end alternative|
|Dell XPS 15||Huawei Matebook D16||Apple Macbook Pro 16||Razer Blade 15||Microsoft Surface Book 3|
|It is the versatile PC par excellence, combining high performance and long battery life. It follows you in all your activities and even gives you the possibility to play modern games in good quality.||With this laptop, Huawei intends to offer an extended screen in a reduced chassis. The brand does not neglect the other characteristics, however, with interesting performance and pleasant ergonomics.||Here is the revival of the Macbook. It is equipped with a brand new screen of very good quality while having more than sufficient power. It is intended primarily for creative people but has great versatility.||This laptop combines the strengths of a gaming laptop and an ultrabook to offer you a very good compromise between power and mobility. This makes it particularly convenient for demanding users.||This 2-in-1 computer corresponds to the image we have of a premium product: performance, quality of finishes and endurance. A very good companion for any nomadic worker.|
Microsoft Surface Laptop 4 (€ 1,649.00 at publication): The Laptop made by Microsoft. The Laptop 4 takes over from the previous version by offering a few changes including an update of the components. The whole remains faithful to the codes of the series with an efficient and pleasant computer to carry thanks to a compact size and a high autonomy (9-10 hours on average). The ergonomics are of course excellent, both in terms of the physical elements and the tactile aspect. Unfortunately, it does not correct the shortcomings of its predecessor: minimalist connectivity and high reflectance.
Asus ZenBook Pro Duo (€ 1,599.00 upon publication): Screens, everywhere! This laptop is designed for creative professions. It has a special system made up of 2 screens: an IPS14 ”FHD touchscreen solution and a second, called Screenpad, which is positioned on the lower part of the chassis. The set is compatible with all stylus shapes so you get the most out of this innovative element. The brand adds high-performance components allowing it to venture into just about any task as long as you choose a suitable version.
How to choose your 15 inch laptop?
When choosing a 15 ”laptop, the biggest difficulty is finding your way through the many references already accompanying the multitude of models on the market.
To determine which options are the most interesting, we have based ourselves on the following criteria which seem essential to us:
- The screen: it is the main element of any laptop. It determines the use that you will be able to make of your computer and the possibilities at your disposal. Thus, an anti-reflective screen will always be preferable for outdoor use, a good calibration allows photos or videos to be edited while being faithful to reality and a high refresh rate will delight gamers with the exemplary fluidity it brings.
- Mobility : the strength of a laptop compared to a desktop model is precisely its mobility. A robust chassis and a high level of endurance are therefore important criteria: your laptop must be able to withstand a day’s work without suffering from your travels and without requiring a nearby power outlet. Congestion is also an essential factor. A product that is too large or heavy will be more difficult to store and transport in your bag.
- Performances : enough power is needed to be able to perform the tasks you choose, no matter how varied they are. It is determined by the processor, RAM memory and graphics card. These components will direct your laptop towards a more specific use and will have an impact on its mobility: more efficient parts require better cooling (increase in weight) and consume more energy.
- Ergonomics: portable use means that manufacturers must pay particular attention to the ergonomics of their terminals. A properly sized keyboard and a good trackpad will influence your comfort of use. Choose keyboards and trackpads that take up as much space as possible on the computer chassis. The position of the latter has an influence: if it is off-center, it will certainly require time to adapt.
- The connection : to be able to use your peripherals, you must have a wide variety of connectors. The most common are the 3.5mm jack, USB-C and USB-A (classic). Photography enthusiasts also appreciate the presence of an SD / microSD card slot to facilitate the copying of their data. Some products offer an HDMI port which tends to be replaced by the USB-C port with a dedicated adapter.
- CNet, Best 15-inch laptop of 2020 for work, gaming or both, October 14, 2021
- CNet France, The best laptops of July 2020, October 14, 2021
- Digital Trends, The Best 15-Inch Laptops for 2020, October 14, 2021
- Digital, What are the best 15 inch laptops right now? July 2020, October 14, 2021
- Techradar, Best 15-inch laptop 2020: top picks with 15-inch displays, October 14, 2021
- Windows Central, Best 15-Inch Laptops of 2020, October 14, 2021