10 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Buying A New Tablet
If you are going to buy a new tablet in the next few months, there are a few things you should ask yourself before doing so. There are many good tablets right now available in the market with many configurations and a wide variety of prices. To simplify things a bit, here are the 10 questions that you should ask yourself before buying a tablet.
10 Questions That You Should Ask Yourself Before Buying A New Tablet
1. Do I Really Want To Buy A Tablet?
Probably the most popular tablet out there right now, and certainly the best available by design and features, but you have to embrace the Apple ecosystem.
The iPad should not be ruled out because it is from Apple. You probably won’t find a better user experience right now: Excellent iOS operating system, millions of applications, excellent performance.
The iPad Pro is an excellent option if you want to use it for work and replace your laptop.
If you are not sure you want an iPad, you can also opt for an Android Tablet: Which Android tablet should I buy? 6 things to consider.
2. What Am I Going To Use The Tablet For?
There is not a perfect tablet for everyone, and it will depend a lot on the type of use that we are going to give it. Are you going to use it to work? To read ebooks? To watch movies or to play games? Do you want it to be easily transportable?
- If you are going to use them for work, you may want to get a Microsoft Surface Pro, a hybrid half tablet, half computer with Windows 10.
- If you want to play, the Apple tablet, the iPad, has an incredible graphics engine and is one of the best options.
- If you want to read ebooks, Amazon’s Fire tablet is perfect, and also really cheap.
- If it is going to be a tablet for children, there are a few very good options, especially the Fire from Amazon.
3. What Screen Size Is Best For Me?
Not everyone needs the same screen size. If you are going to use it to work you probably want a tablet with a large screen, at least 10 or more inches, like the iPad Pro, the Galaxy Tab S. This screen size is also perfect for watching movies.
If you are going to use it to go to work every day or to travel, you might prefer a 6 or 7-inch tablet like the Kindle Fire HD or the iPad Mini.
4. A Tablet With WI-FI or 4G?
With the amount of open WIFI networks that are everywhere, it really is not worth spending more money on a model with 4G connectivity, except in very specific cases (for example, when you use it to work).
We usually have WIFI at home, WIFI at work, so we will probably never need to connect to a 4G network.
5. How Much Storage Memory Do I Need?
Tablets with only 8GB or 16GB of storage memory are one of humanity’s worst inventions. Make sure of one thing: if you only have that capacity, you also have to have a microSD slot available to increase storage.
If you are going to play a lot of games or watch a lot of movies, rest assured that you will need a good amount of available storage on your tablet. If you’re just going to check email, read ebooks, or view web pages, 8 or 16GB may be more than enough. Otherwise, the tablet should have at least 64GB of storage memory.
6. Is The Processor And RAM Important?
Is RAM important in a tablet? It seems not as much as on a computer. iOS and Android manage RAM very well.
Only if you are going to use the tablet for work, you will need more RAM, for example in a Surface Pro or an iPad Pro.
Processor? Apple offers its own processors optimized for its tablets (A7, A8, A8X or A9X…), something that always helps them to have a tremendous performance and to extend the useful life of the tablet.
Android tablets use Qualcomm Snapdragon or Exynos processors in Samsung models. Nvidia uses Tegra processors. In Windows tablets you will find Intel Core processors in the expensive models or Intel Atom in the cheap ones.
7. What Is The Battery Life?
Very important in these devices. The battery life should be high. With normal battery use, it should last you for many days, 3 to 6 days.
If you use them at all hours, a couple of days. Between 8 and 15 hours of continuous use is usually the usual duration.
8. What Apps Are Supported In Each Operating System?
You buy a tablet Android you will have access to the Google Play Store. If you buy a apple tablet you will have access to the App Store.
Many apps share between both systems, but there are always options that only appear in one of the systems.
IOS apps usually have a very neat interface and there are fewer security problems than with Android options.
If you buy a Tablet Fire de Amazon, they give you access to apps from the Amazon store, but not from Google (there is a trick to get it.
The tablets con Windows 10 they give you access to the Windows Store. But in this case you can download programs from many other sites. It is a less closed ecosystem.
9. What Is The Price Of The Tablet?
- Around $100: Some Amazon Fire and other low-cost kid’s tablets. Just to consume content
- Between $100 and $200: Good 7 and 8-inch Android tablets with 8 or 16Gb of storage and little RAM.
- Between $200 and $300: Better screen resolution, limited space.
- Between $300 and $400: We began to see good tablets to work or the iPad mini for example.
- From $400 and Up: Premium tablets such as the iPad Pro or Samsung’s top-of-the-range models. Or Microsoft’s Surface.
10.-What Is The Useful Life Of The Tablet?
Very important. That’s why we put it at the end. Apple tablets are more expensive, but they last much longer, and Apple supports its iOS operating system for more years than Google and its Android OS. Assess your needs and how long you need a tablet.